A permit ensures that the contractor/owner is authorized to perform the work and that the installation complies with the Ontario Electrical Safety Code. An inspector from the Electrical Safety Authority will look at the work at different stages and issue a Certificate of Inspection upon completion. This document provides you with a record stating that the work in your home/business conforms to the standards of the OESC.
Think of an electrical permit as one of the cheapest insurance policies you could buy. It allows you the peace of mind knowing your project is safe from fire and shock hazards and also avoids possible penalties. These could range from fines to the disconnection of your electrical service. It may also affect the financing or selling of your property, or prevent you from obtaining insurance or collecting on insurance claims.
Your best protection is hiring a Licensed Electrical Contractor who will arrange for permits and inspections, as required by law, and provide you with a Certificate of Inspection.
We are happy to provide estimates for new construction projects as well as some renovation/remodel jobs depending on existing conditions. For most other work, such as service calls, it has been our experience that each job is unique. Therefore, it is difficult to name a set fee. We appreciate our customers’ budgets and the preference for an accurate price, however, usually the scope of work is subject to change once a site visit and further diagnosis has been made. Once the problem has been diagnosed or the job has been looked at and discussed thoroughly, a price may be given more accurately. We believe this is fair to all parties.
We gladly accept cash, cheque, VISA, Mastercard, and e-mail money transfers.
Depending on the work being performed, it may be necessary to disconnect power to the entire building or to the specific device, area, or circuit being worked on. If any disconnection is required, you will be informed prior to turning power off.
When an electrical outlet isn’t working it can be a simple fix or a sign of a more serious problem. Some of the common causes for a receptacle not working are: – tripped circuit breaker or blown fuse – tripped GFCI outlet – faulty receptacle – poor or broken wiring connection. Call JP Electrical to make the necessary repairs!
Circuit breakers and fuses are designed to protect our electrical systems. Each device is rated for a specific amperage. This is the amperage it is designed to safely conduct. If the rating is exceeded, the breaker/fuse will trip/blow to prevent the circuit from overheating and causing damage and possibly, an electrical fire. A breaker/fuse that has tripped/blown has seen one of the following conditions: an overloaded circuit, a short circuit, or a ground fault. If you are not sure why breakers keep tripping or fuses keep blowing, DO NOT IGNORE IT! It is a sign that something is wrong. Call JP Electrical to check your wiring.
With so many lighting options available these days, there are just as many ways to end up in the dark! When lights go out, it could be anything from a bad ballast to a burned out bulb to a dimmer that’s incompatible with LED technology. To shed some light on your issues, give us a call. We have expertise in all aspects of lighting including installation, maintenance, and energy conservation.